Thursday, March 13, 2014

Low Sodium Marinara/spaghetti Sauce Recipe


My Low Sodium Marinara - Spaghetti Sauce

 28 ounce can of No Salt, crushed tomatoes. I use Dei Fratelli Brand Unseasoned.
 ½ of a 6 ounce can  tomato paste** (usually  no salt added, but read label)

(Apparently, true Marinara is made with fresh vegetables so since this is from canned tomatoes and dried herbs in midwinter, i should call it sauce, marinara is thinner, too.)

1 tablespoon dried parsley*
1/4 tsp garlic powder but I sometimes omit this
1 teaspoon dried oregano*
1 teaspoon dried basil*

2 - 4 tablespoons olive oil
(if following a no fat diet, omit the oil and use water to saute`)
1/2 cup finely diced onion
1/2 cup white wine or water (I usually use water or splash of wine and water)
1 large bay leaf or two small ones
Optional = 1/8 teaspoon natural salt (Used to omit, now I use this amount)
1 to 2 Tablespoons natural or white sugar, depending on acidity of tomatoes used, as to the amount needed.

* I often use a Tablespoon of Italian blend seasoning instead, for the dried herbs, depending on my mood.  I love the touch of marjoram in the blend and you can get a giant jar at Big Lots for a dollar and it's good!

**Put leftover in small tiny jar or air tight container in fridge. In glass it will keep 1 or 2 wks this way. Or freeze.)

I rarely use an exact recipe for cooking since unlike baking, it is not an exact science needed to get things to turn out. This is a base idea of what I use. Sometimes I use less oil and may toast a bit of fresh garlic when heating up some for a dinner to add more garlic, but I have low blood pressure and garlic lowers it too much so I avoid.  For you? Maybe use more.  This is just a good low sodium base marinara I divide and store in one cup Mason jars (or other glass containers) or put in containers and freeze if you aren't going to be using it up in 2 wks. Feel free to tweak to add whatever meat you want or throw in some fresh parmesan.

I dice the onion and cook in oil until transparent but NOT browned. Then add herbs and wine or water, bring to boil then simmer 5 minutes and add tomatoes, bay leaf and sugar.  Cook on lowest heat for 30 - 60 minutes, covered, stirring occassionally. Or to reduce quicker, cook uncovered. You want it to be thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Cool and divide up for later use. Makes for easy quick meals with pasta or use shredded zucchini for a low carb meal on a hot day. No boiling of pasta. Goes great with my meatball recipe.

This makes about four cups of sauce.

Once served, I salt mine a little --with natural salt --at the table with this recipe. That way if your housemate/family/dinner guest is on low salt diet, they can partake of your Italian meal. Salt can ALWAYS be added but not removed.  Leave a comment! ~Soph

No comments: