Monday, May 10, 2010


Tunes of Sister Rosetta Tharpe & others


I'd never heard of Sister Rosetta Tharpe until I got a CD called "Shout, Sister, Shout" from the library with Maria Muldaur, Marcia Ball & others on it. Some great tunes. Rosetta did Gospel with a rock n roll beat in the 1930's. Also did some great Swing tunes which are part of this show I did. Midway the show switches gears to other songs by Dino, Glenn, Willie & Wynton & even a song by the Dead ...Ok, I'm a moody wench & somedays, have the attention span of a gnat. With my little music shows done from my little 'office bunker', ya never know what you are gonna get! I close with a favorite song "Canal Street Blues" recorded in Richmond, Indiana in 1932. It features Joe King Oliver, a young Louis Armstrong, Lil Hardin~~later she married Louis~~ & many other late, great musicians.

I hope to do another show on her down the road but had tech glitches uploading songs to the BTR switchboard. Stop by to listen to some tunes. Then go to youtube and google some video on her (but remember it's VERY old stuff, she was born in 1915 and died in 1973) and read on her life. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sister_Rosetta_Tharpe

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/sophiasplace/2010/04/28/sister-rosetta-tharpe-other-songs

It's been a long several months with medical issues keeping me from doing a show and reading things in small boxes, or reading in general. Sorry to be so inconsistent, random & intermittent with shows. Might consider a time change. I'll try to Tweet a new show or check the Blog Talk Radio site for updates, especially if you enjoy music from days gone by.

No comments: